Sleuth Home - Message Boards - Newbie Questions


0 0
Judge of Character...A waste of points?

Julianna Blackwick
Julianna Blackwick

Oct-4-2008 12:38

Recently I spent my points on the Judge of Character skill. I was very pleased, because I always have trouble choosing which strategy (Intimidation, Sweet Talking) I should use on different suspects.

However, sometimes when I use it, it will suggest one of them (e.g. Sweet Talking) but when I click that, they clam up! Everytime that happens to me, I think, "Well that was a waste of points!"

Is it always like that, or is just me?

Replies

Brady Quinn
Brady Quinn
Big Winner

Oct-4-2008 15:48

What judge of character tells you is which one gives you the better chance. You still need to build those skills up to have a decent chance. For instance, if tough tells you the chance is 65 and sweet talking tells you 55, you will have a better chance with the tough skill, however that does not mean it will work, just that it has the best chance

Anikka
Anikka
Babelfish

Oct-4-2008 19:41

Never forget, unless the chance is 100%, you've got some chance of failing - and even a 1% chance to fail (99% chance of success) will sometimes bite you right in the gluteus maximus and leave you with a clammed suspect/townie.

If you have both sets of skills, it's still worth your while to use Judge of Character.

Breitkat
Breitkat
Pinball Amateur

Oct-5-2008 13:15

I've also had Sweet Talking and Interrogation fail when the JOC shows up as 102% or 101%. Just because it's over 100, it's not guaranteed to always work. Rarely, the suspect will still clam. That doesn't mean you bought a bad skill. Like you, I like knowing what my chances are. JOC is a pretty reliable source of your chances, overall. Be patient, it will get better. ;-)

As somebody famous is telling me, Life is full of squirrels, but sometimes you get stuck with nuts. ;-D

Jesse Hunter
Jesse Hunter
Santa's Little Helper

Oct-5-2008 21:17

If you have both tough and charm skills, Judge of Character is a MUST. I actually got it before I got Sweet Talking or Rule Bending just so I could get into the habit of always clicking on it. Otherwise you're shooting in the dark and, in accordance with Murphy's Law, you will tend to choose the wrong skill at the most critical moment.

As Brady and Breitkat point out, JoC doesn't contribute anything to your chances - you'll have to rely on other skills and gear for that - but it very valuable for getting the best return on the skills you've already got, as well as providing guidance for future skill/gear decisions.

Anikka
Anikka
Babelfish

Oct-6-2008 13:13

Breit, the only time I know of that you fail at 100% or more is if you're at a townie that has already been questioned by someone who has them as a contact. I've never had 100% or more fail under any other circumstances.


[ You must login to reply ]