Being a citizen of the world i thought it would be fitting the my first thread would be about culture and following in the footsteps of my friend Borat i think it is now time to investigate what stereotypes sleuthies have about Americans. For those playing at home a stereotype is:
1. A simplified and fixed image of all members of a culture or group (based on race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, national origins)
2. Generalizations about people that are based on limited, sometimes inaccurate, information (from such sources as television, cartoons or comic books, minimal contact with one or more members of the group, second-hand information)
3. Initial predictions about strangers based on incomplete information about their culture, race, religion, or ethnicity
4. A single statement or attitude about a group of people that does not recognize the complex, multidimensional nature of human beings
5. Broad categories about people that fail to differentiate among individuals, peoples, and societies
6. Identification of easily observable characteristics of groups of people
The task for you my fellow sleuthies is simply to state your favourite stereotype in relation to Americans.
Ill start things of:
I figured Americans wouldnt mind this post, as it would be an opportunity to do what all Americans love - talk about the US.
ps. dont make this a rascist thing, its purely fun.
All americans are fat, stupid, can't talk proper English, spend most of their time in casinos/McDonalds, love globalisation, shoot people and start wars.
(I have American cousins by the way)
on the other hand..
All Scottish people are mean with their money, wear kilts everywhere, do it with sheep, live off whiskey and haggis , know personally the loch ness mnster, have bad teeth and aren't yet civilised.